Federica Bressan, Ph.D.
Full curriculum in pdf (2.07 MB)
- Digital humanities
- Multimedia archiving, preservation protocols, quality control
- Documentation of multimedia interactive installation art
- Recovery of historical audio recordings, digital philology
- Embodied, Participatory Sense-Making in Digitally-Augmented Music Practices: Theoretical Principles and the Artistic Case "SoundBikes". In Critical Arts: 18, 2018.
- Analytical description of a data sheet for audio preservation: From meaning to data and back. In Fontes Artis Musicae, under review, 2018.
- A framework for the description of age-related symptoms in audio media: Definition and implementation. In Studies in Conservation: under review, 2018.
- A case for reproduciblity in MIR. Replication of 'a highly robust audio fingerprinting system'. In Transactions of the International Society for Music Information Retrieval: accepted for publication, 2018.
- Gamified music improvisation with BilliArT: a multimodal installation with balls. In Journal on Multimodal User Interfaces, 11 (1): 25-38, 2017. doi
- PLXTRM: Prediction-Led eXtended-guitar Tool for Real-time Music applications and live performance. In Journal of New Music Research, 46 (2): 187-200, 2017. doi
- Tape music archives: From preservation to access. In International Journal on Digital Libraries, 18 (3): 233-249, 2017.
- Il restauro musicale secondo Federica Bernardini Bressan [interview]. In Strumenti musicali, 1: 80-81, 2016.
- An ATR FTIR And ESEM Study On Magnetic Tapes For The Assessment Of The Degradation Of Historical Audio Recordings. In Journal of Cultural Heritage, 18: 313-320, 2016. doi
- Honey, I burnt the tapes! A study on thermal treatment for the recovery of magnetic tapes affected by Sticky Shed Syndrome. In IASA Journal, 44: 53-64, 2015.
- The challenge of preserving Interactive Sound Art: A multi-level approach. In International Journal of Arts and Technology, 7 (4): 294-315, 2014.
- Pavarotti sings again: A multidisciplinary approach to active preservation of the audio collection at the Arena di Verona. In Journal of New Music Research, 42 (4): 364-380, 2013.
- The safeguard of audio collections: A computer science based approach to quality control in the archive of the Arena di Verona. In Advances in Multimedia, 2013 (Article ID 276354): 14, 2013.
- A Systemic Approach to the Preservation of Audio Documents: Methodology and Software Tools. In Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2013 (Article ID 489515): 21, 2013.
- Metodologie e nuovi strumenti informatici per la tutela delle memorie sonore: il caso dell'archivio storico della Fondazione Arena di Verona. In Archivi (2): 62-121, 2013.
- Approccio al Restauro di Documenti Sonori e Contesto Tecnologico: il Progetto REVIVAL. In Schifanoia, 38, 2010.
- Handbook of Methods in Digital Humanities.
- The Routledge Companion to Music, Technology and Education.
- Pour Bruno: memorie e ricerche su Bruno Maderna. In Omaggio a Bruno Maderna (1920-1973) nel quarantesimo anniversario della sua scomparsa, pages 129-150, Libreria Musicale Italiana, Restauro e falsificazione: potenzialit`a e rischi delle pratiche di restauro sonoro, Bologna (Italy), 2015.
- La caratterizzazione dei dispositivi di registrazione e riproduzione su nastro magnetico: Per il fondamento di una filologia della musica elettronica. In Proceedings of the XXXXXX CIM, pages under review, Udine, Italy, 2018.
- Reproducing a detection test for magnetic tapes degradation: Acetone extraction test. In Proceedings for the 5th International Multidisciplinary Scientific Conference on Social Sciences & Arts SGEM2018, pages 437-445, Vienna (Austria), 2018.
- Between artistic creativity and documentation: An experiment on interaction with an installation for music-making. In Proceedings of the 6th EAI International Conference: ArtsIT, Interactivity & Game Creation (ArtsIT/DLI 2017), pages 3-12, Springer, Heraklion (Greece), Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering 229, 2018.
- The impact of thermal treatment on magnetic tapes: An exploratory study combining chemical analyses and audio features. In Proceedings of the 2018 AES International Conference on Audio Archiving, Preservation & Restoration, pages accepted for publication, AES, 2018.
- The impact of thermal treatment on the mechanical properties of magnetic tapes: Tensile test. In Proceedings of the 2018 AES International Conference on Audio Archiving, Preservation & Restoration, pages accepted for publication, AES, 2018.
- Applications of duplicate detection in music archives: From metadata comparison to storage optimisation. The case of the Belgian Royal Museum for Central Africa. In Digital Libraries and Multimedia Archives. Proceedings of the 14th Italian Research Conference on Digital Libraries (IRCDL), pages 101-113, Springer, Communications in Computer and Information Science , 2018.
- A multimodal interactive installation for collaborative music making: From preservation to enhanced user design. In Proceedings of the European Society for Cognitive Sciences Of Music (ESCOM) Conference, pages 23-26, Ghent (Belgium), 2017.
- The challenge of integrating gender analysis in gender non-related research: The experience of an interdisciplinary project on multimedia cultural heritage. In Proceedings of the International Interdisciplinary Conference on Gender Studies and the Status of Women, pages 148-160, 2017.
- Applications of duplicate detection: linking meta-data and merging music archives. The experience of the IPEM historical archive of electronic music. In Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Digital Libraries for Musicology, pages 45-48, ACM, New York, NY, DLfM '17 , 2017.
- Hermeneutic implications of cultural encoding: A reflection on audio recordings and interactive installation art. In Digital Libraries and Multimedia Archives. Proceedings of the 12th Italian Research Conference on Digital Libraries (IRCDL 2016), pages 47-58, Elsevier, Procedia - Computer Sciences , 2017.
- Philology in the Preservation of Audio Documents: Massive vs Customized Approach. In Proceedings of the Sound and Image Collections Conservation (SOIMA) Conference -- Unlocking Sound and Image Heritage, pages 69-75, 2015.
- Digital philology in audio long-term preservation: A multidisciplinary project on experimental music. In Digital Libraries and Multimedia Archives. Proceedings of the 10th Italian Research Conference on Digital Libraries (IRCDL 2014), pages 48-51, Elsevier, Procedia - Computer Sciences 38, 2014.
- Towards a shared methodology for audio preservation: Luciano Berio's private collection of sound recordings. In Proceedings of the 2nd AIUCD Annual Conference on Collaborative Research Practices and Shared Infrastructures for Humanities Computing, pages 237-247, Cleup, 2014.
- The preservation and restoration of systems for automatic music performance. In Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Computer and Robotic Systems for Automatic Music Performance (SAMP14) in conjunction with the 13th International Conference on Intelligent Autonomous Systems (IAS), pages 1-8, Venezia (Italy), 2014.
- Interactive Multimedia Installations: Towards a model for preservation. In Arts and Technology - Third International Conference on Arts and Technology (ArtsIT), pages 81-88, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Milano (Italy), Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering 116, 2013.
- Il restauro delle registrazioni sonore come fonte documentaria nelle indagini linguistiche: Strumenti a confronto. In Multimodalit`a e Multilingualit`a: La sfida pi`u avanzata della comunicazione orale. Proceedings of the 9th National Conference of the Associazione Italiana di Scienze della Voce (Italian Association of the Voice Science, AISV -- ISCA Special Interest Group), pages 73-88, Bulzoni Editore, Venezia (Italy), 2013.
- Towards a procedure for quality control over large collections of digitized audio data: The case of the ``Fondazione Arena di Verona''. In Multimedia for Cultural Heritage. First international Workshop MM4CH 2011. Revised selected papers, pages 103-113, Springer, Modena (Italy), Communications in Computer and Information Science , 2012.
- Un ambiente informatico per il controllo dei processi relativi alla conservazione attiva in un archivio digitale di corpora vocali. In Proceedings of the 8th National Conference of the Associazione Italiana di Scienze della Voce (Italian Association of the Voice Science, AISV -- ISCA Special Interest Group), pages 199-214, Rome (Italy), 2012.
- Un ambiente informatico per la gestione dei processi relativi alla conservazione attiva dei documenti sonori. In Proceedings of the 19th International Colloquium on Music Informatics (Colloqui di Informatica Musicale, CIM) ``Sonic Synesthesia'', pages 34-39, 2012.
- Toward an informed procedural approach to the preservation of audio documents: The case of the ``Fondazione Arena di Verona'' archive. In Proceedings of Sharing Cultures 2011 - 2nd International Conference on Intangible Heritage, pages 177-185, Green Lines Institute, Tomar (Portugal), 2011.
- Preservation and restoriation of ethnic music audio archives. In Proceedings of 5th International Congress "Science and Technology for the Safeguard of Cultural Heritage in the Mediterranean Basin", pages 94-100, Istanbul (Turkey), 2011.
- Preserving today for tomorrow: A case study of an archive of Interactive Music Installations. In Workshop on Exploring Musical Information Spaces (WEMIS) in conjunction with ECDL 2009, pages 24-29, Corfu (Greece), 2009.
- The Vicentini Sound Archive of the Arena di Verona Foundation: A Preservation and Restoration Project. In Workshop on Exploring Musical Information Spaces (WEMIS) in conjunction with ECDL 2009, pages 1-6, Corfu (Greece), 2009.
- La memoria sonora. www
- The preservation of sound archives: A computer based approach to quality control. Ph.D. Thesis, Sciences Engineering Medicine, Verona (Italy), 2013.